is situated Off the A512 (Ashby Road) near Coleorton Hall. It's signposted from the A512.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is built of stone in the Gothic style. The western tower was built in the 12th century, with later addition of a fine recessed spire. The tower contains 8 bells, two of which, together with a clock, were added in 1873 by Sir George Howland Beaumont, 9th baronet and other parishioners. The bells are still rung regularly. The stained glass of the west window was brought from Rouen circa 1500 by a former Sir George H. Beaumont. In the south aisle, above the family vault, is the tomb of Sir Henry Beaumont ob. 1607 and Lady Elizabeth. There are other windows dedicated to Mr. Merewether, Sir George H. Beaumont and to the Rev. Canon W. B. Beaumont, rector during 1864-1901.
The Church, as was the case with many Anglican churches, was much restored during the Victorian period. The chancel and the extension to the north aisle are entirely of 1854 and were designed by the Derby architect Henry Issac Stevens. Also dating from 1854 are the east window, the font, pulpit and tower screen. A new organ was installed. The church can accommodate 250 seated worshippers. St Mary's is a grade II* listed building.
In 1906 the church tower and spire were repaired at a cost of £15 (Report of the Leicestershire Architectural Society 1906)
In 1911 an alabaster tablet in Parish Church, and stained glass window in St. John's Chapel, in memory of William Briggs, organist for 40 years, and master of Viscount Beaumont's School for 32 years; given by about 100 subscribers. Brass altar, desk, book and rails also given by parishioners. (Report of the Leicestershire Architectural Society 1911)
Originally the north door of the church could be accessed from Coleorton Hall. However, following the sale of the Hall for residential development in 1997 the public could no longer walk in the grounds of the Hall or access the church from the south door. The boundary of Coleorton Hall goes right along the church wall.
So access is only via the "lych gate" and pedestrian path, rather steep, that goes up through the churchyard to the north door.
St Mary's is a grade II* listed building entry no 1073571 and is currently (2023) on the "At Risk" register for another year.
There are no longer any new burials at St Mary's, however the cemetery at St John's is in current use.
Canon of Peterborough. Younger son of Sir George Howland Beaumont, 8th Baronet (of Stoughton Grange).
Born on 19 June 1869, in Leicester, the son of Charles Stephen Robinson and Priscilla Robinson (née Whitmore). He studied theology at Cuddesdon College (Oxford) from 1893; was Ordained Deacon 1894 and Priest in 1895. He married Annie Arabella Williams in Priory Church of St Seriol, Penmon in Anglesey, Wales on 4 January 1899.
From Coleorton Revd. Robinson went on to become the rector, first at Downside in Somerset and then at Plumtree, Nottinghamshire. About Rev Robinson and his family at Plumtree. He obviously cherished his time at Coleorton. He died on 4 January 1944 aged 74 and was buried in Coleorton (Leicestershire) churchyard. Revd Robinson is commemorated on a brass plate on the door to the vestry of Coleorton church:
The clock and chimes in the tower were put in motion by friends of St. Mary's in memory of Rev. HAROLD ROBINSON MA Rector of Coleorton 1901-1921
Annie Arabella died on 26 March 1957 in East Hanningfield in Essex, aged 89. She was buried in Coleorton churchyard next to her husband.
Revd John died Feb 21st 1932. Married to Mary Florence Philpott who died Jul 1st 1929. Both buried in St Mary's graveyard.
Moved to Llwyn-y-groes, Llanymynech, Shropshire, where he died 4 April 1944.
Revd Godfrey features in "A Childhood Memory" from Pearl Williamson >>
St Mary's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/St-Marys-and-St-Johns-Coleorton-435668643304969/
Snowdrops January 2023
Aerial view of St Mary's and Coleorton Hall
taken by David Merriman, December 2020
Snowdrops at St Mary's, 31 January 2023